About T Visa

Immigrants who are worried about being deported may be too afraid to report trafficking to the police. The T visa can protect immigrants who are trafficking victims by making it safer to report the crime or help law enforcement. A trafficking victim is someone who was tricked or forced to work as a slave or as a sex worker. It is against the law to use force or threats to make someone work. If you qualify, you can get a work permit and stay in the U.S. for 4 years. After 3 years, you can apply for a green card (permanent residency).

To qualify you must show that:

  • You are in the U.S. because of the trafficking (you were recruited to the U.S. or are too afraid to leave).
  • You helped the police (unless you are under 18 or too injured or upset by the trafficking)
  • You would suffer terribly if you were ordered to leave the U.S. (if you are 18 or older)

Your family members might be able to get a T visa, too.
If you are 21 or over, you can apply for your spouse and children, too. If you are under 21, you can also apply for your parents and unmarried brothers and sisters who are under 18.

Trafficking victims may also qualify for a U visa.
The U visa is for crime victims. It has similar benefits, and is sometimes easier to qualify for.

Eligibility Requirements

You may qualify for a T visa if you:

  • Were the victim of trafficking
  • Are in the U.S. because of the trafficking
  • Can help law enforcement
  • Would suffer terribly if you were ordered to leave the U.S.

Note: If you have disobeyed some laws or immigration rules, you may not not qualify for a T visa.

Next Steps

Find organizations near you